Hair loss in women is not largely talked about. When women experience hair loss it is generally a more serious issue for them, it can cause depression, anxiety, and for women to feel extremely self-conscious. Hair is very closely tied to femininity and identity so women who experience hair loss start to look for options to cure this. At Cosmetica Plastic Surgery & Anti-Aging we understand the stress women with this condition are under and want to help them feel at peace and confident by giving them back the hair that is gone.
There are a variety of reasons that can result in women losing their hair or experiencing thinning hair. Like men, women who experience hair loss may do so because of a genetic predisposition. There can be a number of other causes like hormonal changes, pregnancy, menopause, nutrient deficiencies, and medical conditions. If a woman is starting to notice thinning hair, speaking with a doctor is the best option to find the root of the cause, thus, finding a good treatment plan. Speak with a doctor when you start noticing signs and symptoms like:
- Circular or patchy bald spots
- Sudden loosening of hair
- Hair clumps
- Lighter weight hair
- Gradual thinning on the top of the head
There are a variety of treatments available to women to help treat hair loss. Depending on the area of hair loss, hair type, and the reason for hair loss, the treatment will vary from patient-to-patient. If the cause of hair loss is a vitamin deficiency then women may want to start taking those vitamins, but if there are other causes then a treatment plan will need to be created by a board-certified plastic surgeon. By consulting with Dr. Vinas at Cosmetica Plastic Surgery & Anti-Aging he can help create a unique treatment plan for each patient experiencing hair loss.
For the treatment of hair loss in women, there are a variety of surgical procedures, medications, and other treatments available. Our Doctor will look at the quality of hair and hair type to create a treatment plan. The different options are:
- Minoxidil: This is a topical solution that can help treat certain types of hair loss and alopecia. It comes in either foam or liquid form and is spread on the scalp each day.
- Corticosteroid: These are done as an injection to help treat the area of hair loss
- Laser Therapy: Different laser therapies can be used to help promote hair growth in certain areas.
- Hair Transplantation: A variety of treatments helping to restore hair in a balding spot.
There are a number of hair transplantation options available to women experience hair loss. These options are:
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE): Small groups of hair are harvested from larger areas around the head. This hair is then implanted into the treatment area. An ultra-refined version of this is available as an option to women as well.
- Strip Harvesting: This procedure removes strips of hair from a donor site, generally the back of the head, and then implants it into the recipient area.
- Flap Surgery: This removes a section of bald scalp and then replaces it with a section of skin that has hair follicles.
“My rating for you guys is 5 stars! I just love this place. The staff was very nice, explained everything and made sure I was happy and satisfied. From now on I’ll be a permanent client. Thank you so much for your attention and amazing job.”
For some of the treatments such as the topical ones, those can be done at home. For the transplantation and laser treatments, those need to be done in a medical facility by a board-certified plastic surgeon. Most procedures are done using local anesthesia, sometimes an IV sedation may be used as well. The sedation techniques help our patients to feel relaxed and comfortable during the procedure as well as minimize pain or bleeding. Dr. Vinas will go over the treatments in more detail once a plan has been created.
For hair transplantation, many patients have to wear a bandage on their scalp for a few days. This helps to minimize any bleeding as well as protect the scalp from infection. Many patients return to work only after a couple days of rest, but strenuous activity should still be monitored. The recovery time is rather quick with many patients returning to full activities after a week. To make sure each patient is fully prepared our team will provide complete instructions for pre-treatment and post-treatment care. It often takes a few months to see results, but patients enjoy their results for years to come.
The loss of hair for women can be very traumatizing. Many women who experience hair loss have very low self-esteem and can become depressed. At Cosmetica Plastic Surgery & Anti-Aging we want to help women feel better about themselves by restoring their hair with our various treatments. To make a consultation appointment call the office or fill out an online form and get started on your journey of hair restoration.